Monday, 31 August 2026

GRAMMAR - EMPHASIS I: CLEFT-SENTENCES

 

- Use: A cleft sentence is split (“cleft”) into two clauses to emphasize a particular piece of information (subject, object, time expression).

- Types of cleft sentences:

1. IT-CLEFT SENTENCES:

 It is/was … that …

It is Mike that goes to the library every day.

It was yesterday that I saw your sister.

2. WH-CLEFT SENTENCES (pseudo-cleft sentences):

Wh-word … is/was …

What I liked best about travelling was meeting new people.

How the children broke the window is still unknown.

3. REVERSED WH-CLEFT SENTENCES (reversed pseudo-cleft sentences):

… is/was what …

Rest is what I need after a long day.

Your support was what she longed for.

4. ALL-CLEFT SENTENCES:

All … is/was …

All I want for Christmas is you.

All I had to do was send the invitations for the party.

5. “THE THING THAT” CLEFT SENTENCES:

The (one/first/last/only) thing (that) … is/was …

The only thing that I like about your brother is his honesty.

The last thing (that) she did was lock the door.