Monday, 31 August 2026

GRAMMAR - EMPHASIS II: INVERSION

 Inversion means changes the normal subject – verb word for emphasis. It has a surprising and persuasive effect and it sounds rather formal.


I. INVERSION AFTER NEGATIVE ADVERBIALS:

A. INVERSION IN THE FIRST PART OF THE SENTENCE:

Negative expression + auxiliary verb + subject + main verb, (subject + verb)

1. Negative adverbs or adverb phrase used with inversion: hardly, (in) no way, little, never, no sooner, nowhere, only in this way, on no account, only then/later, rarely, scarcely, seldom.

Hardly had I arrived home when somebody knocked at the door. Little did he know that the thief was about to steal his wallet. Never had I seen such a beautiful castle before.  

2. Prohibition and restriction: At no time, under no circumstances, not only … but also.

At no time did he offer me a lift. Not only does she play tennis, she also does judo and karate.

B- INVERSION IN THE SECOND PART OF THE SENTENCE:

Negative adverb or adverb phrase + subject + verb, auxiliary verb + subject + main verb

Negative adverbs or adverb phrase used with inversion: not since, not until, only after, only by, only when.

Not until she looked at me did I realise she was your sister. Only when I had arrived at the hotel did I relax. Only by studying hard could I pass the exam.

 

II. INVERTED CONDITIONALS (without “if”):

First type: Should + subject + verb, subject + verb + complements

Should she go to watch the film, she will love it.

Second type: Were + subject + to + infinitive, subject + verb + complements

Were he to go to University, his parents would be very proud of him.

Third type: Had + subject + Past Participle, subject + verb + complements

Had it rained, we would have stayed at home.